Thursday 7 February 2013

A bit of guided reading...

I'm busy, busy, crazy busy. I don't even have time to list all the things I'm working on (and supposed to be working on) at the minute. But one thing that has captured a lot of my attention lately (besides dinosaurs) (and teething) are books in translation. I was in Paris recently and I made sure to visit La Sardine à Lire, a very deadly children's books bookshop. There I stocked up on a few titles that I can't find over here because they're in the 'wrong' language.
Those included novels translated from the German and Norwegian and they were brilliant! A pity those we can only read English can't access them. Oh well, more on that later.
Meanwhile, I was delighted to discover these reading guides published (in English) by the good people over at the Astrid Lindgren Award, dedicated to 10 previous recipients of the prize (here):
The reading guides contain an introduction of the author, description of the contents, a suggested interpretation and topics for discussions. The guides are based on the following books: Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, Maikäfer, flieg! (Fly Away Home) by Christine Nöstlinger, O Meu Amigo Pintor (My Friend the Painter) by Lygia Bojunga, Northen Lights by Philip Pullman, Basu ni Notte by Ryôji Arai, The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson, The Ghost’s Child by Sonya Hartnett, The Devil Latch by Sonya Hartnett, Alors? by Kitty Crowther, Lénfant Racine by Kitty Crowther, The Arrival by Shaun Tan and Het Boek Van Alle Dingen(The Book of Everything) by Guus Kuijer. 
You're in for a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment